Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Welcome to my workers compensation law blog!  In it, I'm going to talk about legal problems facing people who have been hurt on the job.
What is workers compensation law?  It is a set of laws and a specialized court system that deal with people who have been hurt while working for someone else.
If you have been hurt on the job, you are probably eligible for three types of benefits through your employer and its workers compensation insurer:  (1) medical treatment for your injury; (2) weekly checks for as long as your doctor says you can’t return to your old job because of your injury; and (3) a permanent impairment rating that your doctor gives you if you are not expected to completely recover from your injury.
Like almost every area of the law, there are exceptions to every rule.  For example, if your employer doesn’t have 3 or more employees, your employer probably does not have to have workers compensation insurance.  Also, if you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of your injury, you may not be able to get workers compensation benefits.
If you are hurt on the job, important deadlines may affect your claim.  For example, generally, within 30 days of the date of your injury, you must tell your employer that you were hurt on the job and that you are seeking medical treatment for your injury.  Also, you must file a written notice of your claim with the State Board of Workers Compensation by the latest of three different dates:  one year from the date of your injury, one year after your last remedial medical treatment for your injury, or two years from the date of your last weekly check from the workers compensation insurer.
If it sounds confusing, it can be, and you should contact a lawyer to discuss your claim as soon as possible.
I've been practicing law in the metro Atlanta area since graduating from UGA Law School in 1986, and I've represented hundreds of injured men and women with their workers compensation cases during over 25 years of practicing law.
For more information, visit my website at or call us for a free in-person consultation at 770-425-5573.
William C. (Bill) Gentry

No comments:

Post a Comment